the little beans in life i love.

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Review: Christian Dior Amber Diamond

Christian Dior's Amber Diamond was on my wishlist for the longest time because so many bloggers had raved about how beautiful this product appeared on the skin as a highlighter. It could also be used as a bronzer as well as an eyeshadow. Due to this product's popularity, reviews, and multi-use factor, I felt it was worth purchasing despite the hefty pricetag.

Christian Dior Shimmer Powder in Amber Diamond = $44
Bare Minerals Blush Brush

Pigmentation: Very subtle. As a highlighter and bronzer, I found that I had to apply a lot of product to get it to show. The shimmer was not too obvious either which was good because it created a natural glow. Using it as an eyeshadow, there was not much pay-off, but it helped, again, to create a natural glow look around the eyes.

Texture: Has a roughness that reminds me of MAC Mineralized Skin Finish, there is nothing creamy about this product. Because it is mineralized and not cream-based like Benefit's Watt's Up highlighter, there is no dewy finish. This is good to know in case 'dewy' is what you are looking for. 

Longevity: This needed reapplication because it was hardly noticeable after 5 hours into a typical day at my work. I'm surprised it is called a highlighter by some, since I needed to really pack in on in order to achieve any highlight effect that would last. 

Application: It's cool that you can use this product as a eyeshadow, bronzer, and highlight. At the same time, it was awkward to have to use more areas of the palette more than others. I tend not to like it when I have to favor certain parts of a palette because this leads to balding areas of pan. It's just a strange pet-peeve of mine because it's aesthetically distasteful. With this product, I could definitely see me using up all the left side of the palette first and having a weird chunk of bronze tones leftover. 

Packaging: This was my favorite aspect of this product. The detail that goes in the packaging is exquisite as far as the casing is concerned. The weight of this compact made it feel like a treat to use and the embossed mineralized powder is gorgeous.

Would I recommend this product? Not really. This was not worth the hype and I ended up returning it after much thought. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful product, which is usually the case with Dior, but it bugged me that I purchased AD for $44, yet, it did not significantly set itself apart from other products that claim to do the same thing. Benefit Watt's Up or MAC Soft and Gentle are less costly and equally effective alternatives for highlight. 

What highlighter do you recommend?

j

No comments:

Post a Comment