the little beans in life i love.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Natural Brows


The perfect brow: subtle definition of the borders, angle begins above the outer rim of the pupil, extends from a line drawn from the corner of the eye.
(Image Credit) 
If you are like me and deficient in the eyebrow area, you have no choice but to draw it in every morning. I have a lot of thick hair on my head, but my eyebrows literally fall short. When drawing in the brows, you have to be careful not to draw them in too dark or thick, otherwise you will end up with harsh lines and giving off a 'severe' appearance. I was guilty of this at one point, but was lucky to have a friend gently point out to me, "Whoa, your eyebrows are REALLY dark today". I was thankful for the wakeup-call because the last thing I want to do is stray from a natural look as well as give off the unfriendly look of overly angled brows.

For my brows, I don't invest in the brow palettes or pencils because I find that they tend to apply too intensely. A heavy hand can make a real monster out of me and affect my whole look. Instead, to compliment my black hair, I use any dark brown eyeshadow and apply it lightly with an angled brush starting from the outer brow line and then using the remaining powder on the brush to fill in the inner brow line. 

If I start to see that I'm applying too much and crossing over to the dark, unnatural side, no sweat. A trick I've learned is in those little disposable mascara wands that stores like Ulta and Sephora carry as complimentary applicators. Otherwise, you can buy a whole pack off Amazon for less than five bucks. Just one lasts me forever and when it starts to collect to much product, I just wash and re-use. 

Disposable mascara wands
(Image credit)
After I've drawn in my brows into my desired shape and length, no matter how much pigment I've added, I can subtract the pigment particles with a clean mascara wand. It works so well because it also diffuses the outer edges of your brows to create a very blended out and natural result. 

Let me know if you have any makeup application tricks!

j

2 comments:

  1. Justine! I use the MAC eyebrow gel in clear to "set" my eyebrows. I've seen a considerable improvement..

    http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/149/305/Brow-Set/index.tmpl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. Looks useful! What shade do you use, and does it go on quite darkly pigmented?

      Delete