the little beans in life i love.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Using Now: Mascara

I have been able to test two popular drugstore brand mascaras which, let's face it, seems to be more or less equivalent to department store brands. Chosen as one of Allure magazine's top mascaras for 2011, Maybelline's Volum' Express The Falsies Mascara has been on my radar from all the buzz it's been getting from fellow bloggers. I was so confident about it that, the moment I got this product, I threw out all of my old mascaras, ready to embark on something new.
Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Mascara= $7.49

Supposedly a good dupe for Lancome Hypose Mascara, The Falsies proved to be very promising upon first use. This product made my lashes appear fuller and longer than I've ever seen them. The applicator brush somehow was able to comb through each of my lashes spectacularly without clumping. I was in love! However, I have been using it for 2 months already and have discovered that it's clumping on me more and more these days. Perhaps this is because it is not as fresh and the solution is being exposed to the air of my cold apartment, but now I am on the fence about whether I would pick up this product again. Regardless, I am continuing to use it on a daily basis because I still like this product despite having to dirty my fingertips by de-clumping every now and then.

On the topic of clumpyness, let's talk about another mascara that was getting some buzz.

Loreal Telescopic Mascara= $7.59

See how compact and tiny the wand is
L'Oreal's Telescopic Mascara has neat packaging and an impressive wand that just looks like it can get into the nooks and crannies of your eyelashes but BEWARE. This product is clump-central if you use it on your top lashes! Not to totally bash this product, I have to say that I found proper use for it strictly on my lower lashes, which I often skip unless I feel like kicking my makeup up a notch. In fact, this product does so well for that area as well as the fine hairs of the top inner lashes, that I like to use The Falsies together with Telescopic. As of now, this mascara regiment works for me even if it means carrying around two different mascaras, though please let me know if you have any favorite mascaras!

j

2 comments:

  1. nice. maybelline has been a front runner for mascaras forever. as a former employee i used to get tons of samples and i usually loved them all.
    LASH STYLIST was one of my favorites for a while- similar applicator to telescopic and while it didn't do a great job separating, the lengthening was amaze and it did reach every nook and cranny.

    currently just opened my Maybelline VOLUME EXPRESS LIFT-UP and i gotta say i'm pretty happy. a little curve in the brush to get a little curl.

    but i agree that they all get clumpy after a couple of months.... but aren't you supposed to throw away mascara after 3 months? i recall getting chastised recently in a beauty magazine because according to them i'm applying a disgusting amt of bacteria to my lashies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? I feel like Maybelline's mascaras do almost a better job than some of the Chanel I try that are triple the price! I regrettably admit that I end up using mascara way past the 3 month limit, so you bring up a good point, loyal reader ;). Maybe that's why it's clumping so hard on me. The Volume Express Lift-up is on my radar now. I will check up on that after 2 months to see how you're liking it.

    ReplyDelete