the little beans in life i love.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Skin Care Routine

This post is dedicated to my friend, Tim, in an attempt to peak pique his interest.

Let it be known that I have been on a treacherous journey with my skin. I have had years of terrible acne and breakouts throughout high school, college, and even after. It wasn't until a year ago that I got my acne under control so that my blemishes could finally heal. Now that I feel like I'm on the road to better skin, I wanted to share my skin care routine with you.

Pond's Cold Cream, The Cool Classic, 6.1 oz=  $4.67
I typically wear makeup every day so, at night before I shower, I use a generous amount of Pond's Cold Cream to remove all my makeup. This was used by my grandmother as well as my mother and all her sisters. As far as I'm concerned, their skin has looked pretty wrinkle-free over the years. I use a generous amount all over my face and massage it well to pick up all the debris, removing dead skin cells in the process. Next, I use a tissue to wipe off the excess before I jump into the shower.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, 8oz= $5.99
A nurse practitioner turned me onto Cetaphil for my acne for the salicylic acid it contains. It is also very mild which was a relief after I had tried so many products that irritated my skin, leaving it dry and red (ahem..Proactiv). Before I go to bed I make sure to apply a moisturizer (not shown here). I will likely do a separate post on moisturizer because I've dabble in different ones each day. The next morning, I use a gentle exfoliant, Dermalogica Microfoliant. After washing my face, I apply an spf moisturizer and I'm ready for makeup!

Dermalogica Microfoliant= $50
This product actually inspired this post. I've been using it for 2 weeks so far and my skin has never felt softer or smoother. I use Dermalogica Microfoliant only once a day in the mornings since I found that using it twice a day irritated my skin a little.


It is a rice-based powder formula with a funny but tolerable smell. After pouring a small amount of the powder to wet hands and rubbing it together it looks like the picture above. When massaging it into the face it feels very gentle for an exfoliator, almost like clay. After the first time I used it, my skin felt somewhat soft but I was still skeptical. It wasn't until the third day that I saw a significant change in my complexion, I felt like my skin got brighter! I have never seen my skin so soft and smooth before. I'm so glad I found came across this product and I recommend it as a go-to exfoliator if you are looking for one. 

Dermalogica Microfoliant is a pretty pricy product, but it lasts for a long time. To add, I have made the choice to get serious about taking care of my skin now that my acne problem has subsided and, for the first time, I feel like I have a shot at it :)

A few other skin rules I abide by:

1.)  Do not touch your face during the day. I know this is hard and I make mistakes here and there, but the oil on your fingers harbors bacteria that can lead to break outs.
2. Always remove your makeup before going to bed. Cause' it's just gonna get all over your pillow.
3.) Wash your face every morning and night. Be sure not to leave residual soap along your hairline because this can also lead to acne.
4.) Sunblock. Use a spf moisturizer and an spf foundation. I try to stay out of the sun if I can help it. We don't want wrinkles now do we?
5.) Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I do this every time after I wash my face.
6.) Always include your neck in your skin care regiment. The neck (wrinkles and lines) and the teeth are the telltale signs of aging that are very hard to hide later on. Prevention is a must.
7.) Diet. Spicy, oily, and sugary foods are terrible for complexion and my skin shows me no mercy. Lots of water is the way to go, unfortunately, I don't drink nearly as much as I should.

If you have a skin care regiment that you would like to share, please do!

j

7 comments:

  1. dedicated to me??? <3
    ... but are you saying my face is dirty? PSH.

    I'M STILL A FAN OF ORIGIN'S 'CHECKS AND BALANCES' BEC ITS MILD BUT MAKES ME FEEL CLEAN AND THEN AFTERWARDS I USE CLINIQUE FOR MEN'S "M-GEL LOTION" WHICH IS AMAZINGLY NON OILY BUT MOISTURIZING ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I ALSO USE THEIR "M PROTECT SPF 21" IF I KNOW I'M GONNA BE IN THE SUN EVEN A MODERATE AMOUNT OF TIME DURING THE DAY. FOR BREAKOUTS I USE ORIGIN'S 'SPOT REMOVER' AND IT IS PRETTY GOOD.
    THAT IS ALL.

    -TIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. fair responses, loyal readers. fuan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have been using Clinique's even better skin tone corrector (u know, the one with the spotty eggs in the commercials). my friend swears by it but says you gotta go through at least a whole bottle before really noticing. and it doesn't remove freckles (dammit) BUT i've been using it on my pretty new acne scars (thanks to stress and my inability to not pick at my face) and they've def faded them significantly. i like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh, the spotty egg commercial! Ive been wondering about that product. I have freckles and unevenness too. Would you buy it again and again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. as of right now, yes. but I want to finish the bottle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the spotty egg bottle too! I'm on bottle #2.
    (SOAP + WATER)

    ReplyDelete